Sunday, June 19, 2005

Weekend in the City

Well I suppose I need to update ya'll on my weekend happenings.

Saturday:

Got up late, went grocery shopping which took a while since the shuttle ride is about 20 mins one way, came back to the dorm. After everything was put away Jeanna and I met up with my friend Emily near the Capitol. We walked around a bit trying to decide what to do and in the process saw a soap box derby on one of the roads nearby and a street bball event on another street - very spiffy.

We eventually decided to head to Georgetown to window shop and get ice cream so we all hopped on the metro and got off at Foggy Bottom. Georgetown was great! We ate at Hagen Daz (spelling?) - I got Bailey's Irish Cream ice cream and lemonade, Emily got a mint choc chip shake, and Jeanna got just lemonade.

After ice cream we headed off down the main thoroughfare, went into a few shops, stopped at Francis Scott Key park, walked along the canal for a bit, and then continued our meandering until the shops petered out. Heading back to the metro station we stopped a few more places and made a mental note to come back and actually shop later this summer. :)

We said goodbye to Emily at the L'Enfant Plaza stop and switched trains at Metro Center. On the train I ended up getting bumped by some guys and then they tried to get me to read whatever booklet they had - yea not a good way to get people to listen to you! Grrr. No biggie though, I handled myself pretty well, even tho I was caught by surprise at all the commotion.

Once Jeanna and I got back to the dorm, we ate dinner and headed downstairs to watch TV - two episodes of 'Sex in the City' and then borrowed 'Something's Gotta Give' from the front desk.

A couple guys staying the building came downstairs a few minutes after Lawrence came down to see what we were up to, so we ended up chatting for a bit. Always good to meet new people. :)

Sunday:

Woke up super late (1pm lol), ate, and then headed off to the Museum of Natural History w/ Jeanna. We only got through one exhibit - Geology, Gems, and Minerals - in an hour and a half!! I'm planning on going thru one exhibit each weekend so that I don't get museumed-out and yet see all of the museum by the end of the summer.

The exhibit was awesome - got to see the Hope Diamond (largest blue diamond in the world I believe) and many other gorgeous pieces of jewelry, touched some meteor pieces, created a volcano, saw the seismograph recordings from around the world (including the 6.1 magnitude one in Japan from today!), saw a visual representation of the earthquake activity in the world (the area around CA was colorful), looked at rocks that glow, and lots more.

I wish we had museums like this in Indiana - what a way to learn about science and the world around us!

A great weekend if you ask me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home