Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Long day

Today I was pretty much doing stuff from 6am to 10pm with a break from 5:30pm to 7pm!

Work was cool - I got in early and was able to chat with the deputy administrator of Animal Care (at least I think that's what his title is); he just spent about 10 or 15 mins getting to know me and my interests, assigning me a task and mentioning that he might be able to arrange a visit at the national detector dog training school in, are you ready, ORLANDO, FLORIDA!!!! Nothing for sure of course, but he said he'd check since he found out I was interested in that type of stuff. My assignment was also based on my interests: look up info on regulations involving service dogs in the US. Very cool indeed.

The morning was spent going through the drawers of things that needed to be filed in a more sensible way. I worked with a vet intern, and while it was nice to have help, I'm not really sure how good of a job she did - she seemed to be pretty hesitant about rearranging things, to the point of emailing one of the people who works on HPA stuff to make sure we weren't screwing up someone's system, even though I had been told there was no system. We'll see what kind of response she gets I guess.

I had lunch as usual (I remembered it this time) and then headed back to my desk to work on my research assignment.

My afternoon was quickly swallowed up with internet searching and compiling info into an email. Luckily I've researched a lot of this type of stuff before, me being random lol, so I had a good idea of where to find everything. I ended up finding a great article in a USDA database - the National Agricultural Library or something of that nature.

I think I impressed the deputy administrator - he emailed me back quickly and mentioned that if I keep up the good work I might get the weekend off; I'm already joking with the guy!! I love making new connections for my networking system. :)

I got home after work, had a 1.5 hour break, and then was off to a meeting with all the Purdue people and Nels Ackerson, a lawyer, Purdue alumn, and the sponsor of the program I'm in! We had a good discussion on a variety of topics (I even got to use some info I gleaned from animal breeding class in the conversation oddly enough) and then continued the 'meeting' at the Dubliner, an Irish restaurant down the street. Nels even picked up our food at the end of the night and I made sure to save his business card for any future contact purposes. And no, that doesn't mean I'm planning on needing legal counsel in the near future!

I finally got back to my room about 30 mins ago - at 10:10pm!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home